Total Pageviews

Friday 23 September 2011

I take it back. Everything's great!

You're probably thinking "Not again! Already?! This guy's spending so much time writing his blog that there'll be nothing for him to write about, apart from the process of writing a blog." Although you're really probably thinking "I'm hungry - where's my chef/mother?" Well you're wrong, Phillip! You're wrong. Your mum is not your chef - she is so much more (Trust me, I know) and I actually am just writing a quick update because I feel bad for putting you all through such negativity yesterday.

Okay for those of you who haven't yet read yesterday's post, just read it. I cba (or as the French would say, six billets) to explain it again. Oh don't look at me like that. Please. Stop. You're making me feel bad. No, don't cry. Come on! You want a tissue? Okay, I'll explain God dammit!

Basically I explained yesterday (with far more flair) that the only thing actually worrying me at the moment is dealing with French people, including their language. I also mentioned that I was about to go to this 'buddy party' where we meet our French 'buddies' through playing games against other teams. The first game for me was juggling, and the other games seemed naff as well.

But it wasn't what I expected. It was worse.

When I eventually found my two French buddies, Emilie and Lucile, there was only one other girl there, a Chinese girl who apparently was studying English language and literature in China and had come to do business at the ESC. I felt sorry for the two French buddies, because they were volunteering to help us, so I tried to speak to them in French, but then I realised I was cutting out the chinese girl. I apologised in English, but she didn't seem to understand that either. If only I knew Mandarin...

There was supposed to be a group of 6, plus the two buddies. But that was it - just us four. As the only guy in the team, I was obliged to do the juggling. It wasn't juggling circus-style. It was worse, way worse. Football kick-ups.

I can't do football kick-ups. Plus I was dressed in a shirt and jeans ready to go out later (and dressed to give myself an excuse for being atrocious at sport). I tried to politely refuse, but the French guy in charge insisted, and I kept the ball up for three kicks before it escaped my feet and narrowly missed an innocent bystander. Because I lost to whoever I was competing against, I was graciously given a score of 0.

Next was the weight-hold-thing. We had to stretch our arm and hold a 4kg weight for longer than the guy next to us. I was feeling a little temerarious, having dabbled in a bit of weight-training in the past. So I challenged my Azerbijianian mate Orkhan to a contest of strength. He won, of course. But I did suspend it for about 2 minutes (I think) so I'm happy with that. So yep, another piece of paper with a 0.

I wasn't there to win, I was there to meet French people. And after changing my 0s to the max score of 8 and showing everyone (If you're gonna lose, lose while laughing!) I went for the buffet, and tried some baguette filled with what looked like the love-child of jam and tuna. Emilie told me that they were eating outside, so I joined them.

The chinese girl was nowhere to be seen, but I had joined a group of French people. Jackpot! I introduced myself and started chatting in French with them, and they were really nice! They then invited me to go back to someone's flat and get some pizza. I wasn't up for the pizza, because my stomach was playing up again (I don't think my stomach is used to speaking two languages) but to hanging out with genuine French people, I said 'pourquoi pas!' 

Okay, there was a reason not to - I had agreed to go with my international friends to the Irish bar, but I quickly found them, told them I'd meet them there, and off I went, in one of their cars.

We were waiting at the pizzeria and chatting in French when Cam, Frieddie and Rob (our Cypriot compadré) passed us on the way to Frieddie's and were surprised to see me with French people. I told them I'd meet them at the Irish bar, and they moved on.

You can probably see where this is going. I didn't meet them at the Irish bar. I stayed at a flat somewhere north of where I live, hardly speaking a word of English, for about 4 hours. I met some lovely people, tried a mélange of some mur liqueur and white wine. Some more French guys arrived, clearly the lads, and introduced themselves to me, giving me a Heineken. (I'm glad the Belgians weren't there to see me drink it).

I told them I was Welsh, taught them a little bit of Welsh, helped them with their English, chatted a bit about the rugby world cup, and learned some cool lines, including 'le pays de Galles est là?' meaning 'is the Welsh guy partying tonight?', and, upon leaving to go to the Irish bar, one of the French guys told me about one of the girls: 'elle a un fleur pour toi'. He then proceeded to teach me a French chat-up line, which I found hilarious. It goes 'On boit, ou on bise. Personellement, je n'ai pas soif'. You can Google Translate those yourself....

But basically, yeah, last night was great! I got to the Irish bar and only found a few friends, who were going to l'Espace (free entry with a drink again). I tried to get a drink but was too late, and I wasn't going to pay 14€ for entry. And I didn't want to deal with those bouncers again, so Francois, a new French friend who took me there, kindly took me back home.

So last night was a complete success. I now know some French people, who were impressed with my French. I am now at level 8 of the France Integration Scale, without smoking a single cigarette! My French should improve quickly now I know some French people - I knew it wouldn't be impossible! So now, everything's great :D (apart from my poor Kindle).

I'd like to admit that it's thanks to Frieddie, who persuaded me to go last night, despite my doubts, but I shouldn't, because she will NOT let it go. Instead, I'd like to thank Danny Wallace, who wrote Yes Man. Remembering that great book helped me decide to go, because saying 'yes' to new opportunities can open the doors so many new possibilities - as I found out for myself, last night.

I am now back on the path to becoming bilingual. Thanks Danny Wallace (not Frieddie).

Rant over
Ollie

No comments:

Post a Comment