Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 January 2012

GEJA Day 3: Losing ourselves in Venice

After getting up really early (6:30!) to use our Interrail passes for the first time, we had a snooze on the 4 hour train journey and arrived in Venice just before midday. First thing I noticed? It was really cold! I didn't realise it until checking the map just now, but Venice is pretty far north in Italy, and a fair bit more so than Rome, which had been very mild in temperature.

Our first impression of Venice, walking to the hostel and seeing the main canal, was that it was a crappy overrated version of Amsterdam. But as the day went by, and we saw what Venice has to offer, we were proven wrong indeed! Amsterdam, whilst having tranquil canals flanked by beautifully uniform and modern-looking buildings, compared to the more quintessentially old-fashioned and tacky design of those in Venice, lacked the amazing churches and atmosphere that Venice really has.

After checking in at the hostel where I am writing this now, we decided to go for a walk, to learn about Venice by getting lost in there. Now I'm usually up for a bit of adventure. I've purposefully gotten myself lost in Rennes just so I'd learn my way around better, and I like the challenge! But that was different because a) I could speak the language to a decent enough extent if I needed help and b) I didn't walk for hours on end, killing my feet, back and willingness to live in the process. Venice, however, was different, and after a couple of hours of wandering seemingly aimlessly and Simon and Itzel asking people for directions to different Piazzas that I would only confuse with each other, I began to get impatient.

However, after a brief stint of conscientious objection from further part in this painful and seemingly pointless wander, I caved in (I was being impatient to be fair) and not long after we found what Sitzel was looking for: a stunning church (Basilica de Santa Maria) enshrouding the main canal nearby. After exploring this beautiful place, and more painful exploration, we found the great landmark of Venice (apparently): the Basilica del San Marco. And what a sight it was! On the inside it presented a slight rivalry to St Peter's' in the Vatican, with the largest mosaic I have ever seen, whilst the exterior looked more like the kind of building you'd see in Kiev than in Italy. The Piazza was stunning as well, surrounded by old Napoleonic walls and including a monumental bell tower that had been an integral part of Venetian heritage for centuries.

We finished the day by finding somewhere to grab a bite for dinner (burger and chips, as you do in Venice)  and took a bus back to the hostel. But this was no ordinary bus. It was a boat metro line, going across the canal, and we were able to sit at the bow and savour the trip back to our hostel, which fortunately was a long one! That is what sets Venice apart from other cities. There are no cars or buses, or even bikes! Only boats to get around. Instead of a Opel Corsa, a Venetian simply owns a Yamaha boat. This for me was crazy and unheard of, and when you're there, in the city that looks as if it was flooded, it really is a sight to behold!

So another long but fulfilling day has passed. Tomorrow we will spend our last day in Italy with a trip to Milan. However, after discussing Verona with Itzel and Simon, and due to the apparent lack of interesting sights in Milan compared to that of Rome, we have decided to leave Milan early, and as Verona is where we would change for Munich anyway tomorrow night, we may as well spend our time in Verona and check out the Roman Arena and the house of Juilet!

Anyway, I'm shattered right now and it's a big day ahead tomorrow! Pictures will be up when we get unshit Internet. Ciao!

Rant over
Ollie

No comments:

Post a Comment