Total Pageviews

Friday 27 July 2012

Let the Games Begin!

God I hope he can run flat out
WOOHOO! After seven years of hype, overspending and totalitarianism from Seb Coe, this evening will see the beginning of the greatest sporting event in the world! For the next couple of weeks, the world's eyes will be on our beloved nation as it tries to remind everyone that despite countries no longer wanting to have their resources taken from them by force, Great Britain still has some degree of value.

I'm sure the Opening Ceremony will be wonderful. Easily as good as Beijing's. China, you may have a vastly superior GDP, culture of ruthlessness and perfectionism and a far more talented population, but we've got Adele, so in your 1.3 billion faces, Chinese!

But of course Danny Boyle's event this evening will only showcase what Britain is good at our music (the best in the world), our sense of humour and history, our pessimism, binge drinking, caked up women and teenage pregnancies. After all this ostentatious demonstration Britain will probably then return to the disappointment to which we are so accustomed.

Dunno what the hype is about Jessica Ennis.
It's not like she's talented or attractive...
Jessica Ennis, Tom Daley, Philips Idowu, Kelly Holmes (oh wait she's not in it? She's on TV so much you'd think she was!) have so much pressure on them and have been spending so much time with their publicity they could suffer the 'England football fever' and fail to deliver the extremely high expectation that the BBC always imposes.

Nope, my eyes would be on Usain Bolt of course, just because he is so damn cool! His injury has left people in doubt as to whether or not he could break his world record I MEAN win the 100m, but he's the kind of athlete that you could have faith in to live up to the hype, probably because he isn't British.

Michael Phelps is just 3 Gold Medals away from becoming the greatest Olympian of all time. The Chinese will always wow. It will be a wonderful opportunity to see just what the human body is capable of.

I'm never excited about a sporting event before it starts, apart from the Six Nations of course. So far I've merely been bombarded with news updates for every additional pebble that goes towards the stadiums, the high economic cost and the failure of G4S. This week, I've just been waiting for the Games to end. After all it makes no difference to me where they are - my TV works just as well regardless!


But I know that once they start, I'll be glued to the TV watching the incredible range of sport. After all, it is only once every four years that most people give a shit about sports such as cycling, rowing and sailing...

Or I would be glued to the TV, but from next Friday I shall be going back to France for a couple of weeks (the rest of the Games). No, no more Erasmus I'm afraid. It won't be that interesting - just me trying to relax.

...and let's not forget the Olympic-themed advertising...


And next week? Well, I'm going to London Monday, but not for the Olympics. That's right kids, Employable Ollie is back (well, I'm trying to become him again) and has an interview for a graduate position in the City, playing his (well, my) trump card of a Deloitte fast track as fast as he (well, I) can before the trip to France. So obviously in preparation for this, I will not have the time to enjoy the Olympics as there's an extremely competitive graduate job market to enter. Shame those games will make traveling around bloody awkward.

So there we are! Check out the Olympics, enjoy them and don't have too much faith in Team GB - that way if we get a medal haul it will be AWESOME! I would love to watch it, but it won't be too feasible. So bring on the Sky+ replays!

Rant over

Ollie

No comments:

Post a Comment