Total Pageviews

Friday 28 September 2012

My Erasmus Story

Okay, I have just entered a written competition: "My Erasmus Story - Making An Impact". I had to summarise a year in 1000 words or less. I didn't think it was possible, but I gave it a go. Let's see what you think!

Ollie

My Erasmus Story – Making An Impact

Impact – what an interesting word. Sceptical ears could dismiss it as the rhetoric of politicians and business leaders. However, a curious ear may embrace it, seeing opportunity, excitement and new experiences. What does the word mean to me? Did Erasmus make the sort of impact that would appease potential employers as they skim my CV, or was it more of a deep impact, the sort that is not only plagiarised by the writer of Armageddon, but also the profound sort that could have a somewhat epiphanic influence on my personal development?

Arriving in Rennes, France, for my Erasmus exchange last September, I was certainly sceptical. My family has been to France for every summer holiday for the past fifteen years. Variety is the spice of life, and my parents hate the kick. France: been there, done that – what could living there really do for me? I chose France for my exchange over somewhere new so I could improve my French as well as my business acumen, though being welcomed by ubiquitous miserable customer service quickly brought into question my decision to study marketing there!

Luckily, however, I had the curiosity as well.

Rennes is a vibrant city in the heart of Brittany where the old and new are intertwined in that idiosyncratically French fashion. I am not going to waste my precious few words describing the city, you can find that on Wikipedia. The city’s significance for me lies in the memories I created there, of relaxing in Le Parc du Thabor, the bar crawls at La Rue de la Soif, that magical night when the city hosted a music festival in the streets, and of course: the people.

Within two weeks of arriving, I was hosting a party with attendees from countries as diverse as Finland, Germany, Mexico, Russia and Ecuador. Many of these became my closest friends. The world had assembled in this picturesque little city, and how I loved it!

Not only was boredom brutally banished as we delighted in learning about each other’s backgrounds, cultures and languages (I enjoyed teaching the rules of rugby as we watched my country Wales blissfully win the Grand Slam!) but the people themselves happened to be among the most incredible I have ever met, with a real carpe diem mentality. For me, being part of such an open-minded and cosmopolitan group was a novel experience that made every day feel as exciting as Christmas. Wizzard would be jealous!

Amongst all this excitement I should mention I actually did some studying. My hosting business school, ESC Rennes, was quite different from what I was used to in England. Seminars and lectures were integrated, and a more practical team-based approach was encouraged. This gave me an opportunity to develop my teamwork skills in a way I would never have been able to at home. I also benefited from enthralling subjects such as Sales and Digital Marketing which are not taught at my own university.

As for my attempts to become bilingual, I found it much easier to learn French outside the classroom through everyday interactions with the locals. My advice for learning a language: talk to the drunks. They speak slower and you will learn lots of colloquial words.

Having enjoyed studying at the ESC so much, I decided to stay for two extra months to promote the school to prospective French students. This included giving guided tours of the campus in French, playing games with the applicants and, as the sole Briton, sharing Britain’s culture with the applicants, from our exemplary music to our not-so-impressive cuisine. With the lack of British ingredients available in France, my patrons had to settle for toasties! It was an unforgettable experience. I truly felt like I was an ambassador for my country.

Furthermore, I spent a lot more time with the French during this period, joining in their dissonant songs and appreciating their unique sense of humour. For the last week, they even asked me to join the daily show they were performing for the prospective students. I was honoured.

Before Erasmus I was pessimistic and lacking in passion. One year later, I feel empowered. I not only survived, but thrived during this Erasmus exchange, and for me that is a monumental achievement. Erasmus is not easy. It has many challenges, from the language barrier to cultural shock to managing that generous Erasmus grant. Overcoming these problems has made me more independent, more responsible, and infinitely more confident.

A perfect example of this was in January. How many Welshmen can say they have travelled across twelve countries in just three weeks with a Mexican and an Ecuadorian? It was a difficult trip to organise. We darted from Budapest to Bruges, from Venice to Vienna, from Hamburg to Helsinki, savouring the sights and devouring the delicacies. The trip was not without its problems, though. We were robbed in the Czech Republic and our budgets were thin, so completing the trip developed me greatly as a person.

Now I am truly excited by what lies ahead. I have a large international network and an insatiable wanderlust. My French Culture teacher at the ESC helped to rekindle my love for writing and languages, and I know now that my future career must involve these. I also had the great fortune of meeting my wonderful girlfriend during Erasmus, who I shall visit very soon. Now bilingual, I have started work on adding Spanish and Mandarin to my linguistic arsenal. If it were not for Erasmus, I may have still been targeting a more conventional career and I may not have found my passion – for language, travel and culture.

Did Erasmus make an impact on my life, and not just my CV? Absolutely! I arrived with the desire to become bilingual and left with so much more. If anyone is still sceptical, stop overthinking. Just do it! Be open to new experiences, and it could make an impact on you too.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely amazing! Very good words! I have totally seen myself in your e experience and i miss our erasmus years!good luck !!- Alina Arion (Romania)

    ReplyDelete